Thursday, January 22, 2009

Plumbers

So, we have known for a while that our house was part of a class action law suit against Kitec for a plumbing fitting used in our plumbing. We knew it would involve a re plumb of our entire house. Well, things finally got underway today. Well, lets take that back to the 15th of January. We had a guy come out and inspect the house. He then told Jared that by the 22nd we had to have everything cleared out from beneath the sinks and a few things moved away from walls. We had things ready for them, they were scheduled for 9am today. At 7:30 am today, I had them greet me as I tried to leave for work. A man who had to speak through a translator informed me that he was supposed to already be in my house putting plastic down to protect from this job. I went in the house and told Jared they were already trying to start the work. He took his time getting ready, as well he should, and let them in around 8:30. Once the guys got in they told Jared they would have to get to several more places in the house than the first guy told us. They spent the first hour helping Jared move all of the furniture and gaining access to the places in the walls. I got a phone call from Jared around 10:30 and he said our house was all cut up and there was a whole ton of drywall that had to be cut out. Well, as you can see in the pictures below, this is quite an undertaking. We also would have no water for the majority of the day. Our floor was covered in plastic, our walls were cut to hell, and our pipes redone. Long story short, they finished up around 5pm today and water was restored. Tomorrow we wait for the inspector to come in and sign off on the plumbing, then the dry wall guys come in and hang the drywall and texture. Once that is done, they get to paint. And as you can see we don't exactly have white walls that will be simple to match. The room in red was originally painted black. We had to put 3 layers of Kilz over it, grey primer and then two coats of red. Good luck matching that boys! Hopefully this will be a smooth process but I don't see it working that way. Right now, I have to figure out where we are going to put the bed from the spare bedroom, seeing as it is on top of mine. I plan to be sleeping in an hour. The up side to this is that we are getting it fixed now as opposed to if something blows up. So lets see if I get this right....A hole in the front room to get to the outside faucet, holes in the island to get to kitchen sink, hole in the living room to get to the back yard faucet, hole in hallway for spare bath, NUMEROUS holes in office to get to spare bath, huge holes in laundry room, and washer is in garage, NUMEROUS holes in spare bedroom to get to garage lines, outdoor faucet, and master bath, holes in our toilet room. Plus we have plastic everywhere. I have to climb underneath to get clothes out of the closet. This is fun, really it is. I had to have my mom "cat sit" because Lightning would have run outside the first chance he got. I hope everyone enjoys the pictures. Wish us luck. If I can still get to the computer tomorrow I will try and update.

Had to move the couch to get here.

Hallway

Front Room
Kitchen Island, backside
Spare bedroom
Spare bedroom
Office
Laundry Room





3 comments:

Donna said...

That is crazy. Mom told me how she called and asked you where you were sleeping tonight! Just be glad it's going to be over in a few days and you won't have to worry about some major plumbing issue arising! Wish those guys good luck on the red room for me, too. They're going to need it! Love you.

Rebecca said...

I feel your paint...I mean pain. Ok not really because this isn't happening to my house. Atleast it's day 2...only 3 more days to go. I'm a glass half full kinda gal!

ElRae said...

Oh, that is a mess. It is even bigger than I was imagining when you were telling me about it. Good luck with the drywall and paint!
ElRae